Sunday, May 15, 2016

Breakfast Fajita Quesadillas


I've made an interesting habit of spending my weekend mornings using whatever leftovers I have in my fridge to make crazy breakfast mash-ups that are filling and delicious.


Just the other day, I executed a perfect omelette stuffed with BBQ beef brisket from my favorite barbecue restaurant in Boston. I've made countless breakfast burritos with every vegetable and protein I can get my hands on. Why yes, I did take leftover blackberry simple syrup, mixed it up with maple syrup, and poured it all over crispy homemade waffles. The weekends are just the perfect time to spend a little extra time in the kitchen emptying our fridge and filling up our stomachs. 


After finding myself with a whole lot of bell peppers, I knew I needed some fajitas in my life. These Breakfast Fajita Quesadillas were everything I wanted and more. Bell peppers sauteed with a spicy blend of chili powder, paprika, cajun seasoning and lime juice. Perfect soft scrambled eggs, mixed with fresh cilantro. Lots and lots (and lots) of shredded cheddar and pepperjack cheese. All of this sandwiched between a crisped flour tortilla...well, mornings don't get much better than that! 


Now, I realized I named these "breakfast" quesadillas, but really you can enjoy these any time of day. Imagine these for dinner after a long day? They take barely 20 minutes to prepare but the flavors are out of this world.

Oh, and as with any quesadilla, don't skimp on the toppings! I had salsa, lime wedges, and cilantro on hand, but man do I wish I had some creamy avocado slices, tangy sour cream, a bit of fresh pico de gallo..mm, my mouth is watering all over again!


Here's what you need for Breakfast Fajita Quesadillas* (Print Recipe!)

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (or more for extra spicy)
juice of 1/2 lime
2 burrito sized flour tortillas (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, avocado, etc. for serving

Here's what you do

In a large non-stick skillet, heat half the olive oil and melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the eggs and season with salt, pepper, and the cilantro. Allow to set for about a minute, then stir gently and continuously until cooked through but still softly scrambled. Set aside. 

Add remaining olive oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add the peppers and onions. Season with chili powder, paprika, and cajun seasoning. Squeeze in the lime juice, stirring to coat. Cook until soft and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and carefully wipe clean with a paper towel. 

Place one tortilla in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half the cheddar cheese onto one half of the tortilla. Do the same with the eggs, veggie mixture, and pepperjack cheese. Allow to melt then carefully take the other half of the tortilla and press it down over the top of the filling. After 2 minutes, carefully flip the quesadilla and cook until the tortilla is crisp and all the cheese is melted. Repeat with the second tortilla. Serve with toppings of choice.
*Gas Stove Girl Original Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment